A suspected Boko Haram female suicide bomber on Friday blew up herself at a mosque in the Fulatari area of Buni Yadi, Gujba local government area of Yobe state, killing seven persons.

This is just as suspected insurgents abducted three persons in Milidu and Kaya villages in Madagali local government area of Adamawa state on Thursday.

The attack in Yobe happened less than two weeks after the sect abducted 110 girls from Government Girls’ Science Technical College, Dapchi.

A military source, who confirmed the attack to The Cable, said the incident occurred around 5:30am, when the Muslim faithful gathered to observe the morning (Fajr) prayer.

According to the source, rescue efforts are being made to transfer the injured to the hospital.

“The bomb-blast is real. They lost 7 people in the mosque, 28 injured. It happened this morning by 5:30 prayer. There are still some casualties they are still taking them to the hospital. That is what I can say for now,” the source said.

The suicide bomber was said to have died instantly while the man who tried to block her from entering the mosque sustained injuries.

On February 24, 2014, Boko Haram fighters attacked the Federal Government College (FGC) in Buni Yadi, killing 58 male students and setting the school ablaze.

The Cable visited the town four years after and spoke with victims and survivors of the attack.

Premium Times said scores were injured in the Adamawa attack. An elderly woman was reportedly shot.

Baba John, a resident of one the villages, was quoted to have said the insurgents looted foodstuff.

“Boko Haram insurgents launched a surprise attack on us this Thursday night at Kaya, which is very close to the military base,” John reportedly said.

“They looted food stuff, carted (them) away with one vehicle and abducted three people.”

Muhammad Yusuf, Council Chairman, while confirming the incident, said local hunters and vigilante put a resistance and was able to kill one of the insurgents.

“They were repelled by our gallant hunters and vigilante that killed one Boko Haram member, others were injured after a fierce battle, but I am yet to get details, whether there is loss of lives or not,” he reportedly said.

“And minutes later I was called again that there was another attack at Kaya, one kilometer away with Gulak, they abducted three residents in Kaya, and shot an elderly woman on leg. She was rushed to nearby hospital.”

When contacted by The Cable, Othman Abubakar, spokesman of Adamawa police command, promised to speak in “five minutes” but he did not respond to calls made after that.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here