Gov Umahi Institutes #EndSARS Empowerment Programme for Ebonyi Youths
…charges them to come up with ideas to move nation forward
AN ADDRESS PRESENTED BY THE GOVERNOR OF EBONYI STATE, HIS EXCELLENCY, ENGR. CHIEF DAVID NWEZE UMAHI, FNSE, FNATE (AKUBARAOHA) ON THE OCCASION OF THE OPENING CEREMONY OF EBONYI #ENDSARS YOUTH SUMMIT HOLDING AT THE CHRISTIAN ECUMENICAL CENTRE, THIS 3RD MARCH, 2021
1. I welcome all of you to this all important state youth summit convoked by our administration to address all the youth agitations, perceptions and other burning national issues that triggered the #ENDSARS protest that almost overwhelmed our nation in violence. It is this national imperative that informed our resolve to be among the first states to engage our youths through this 7-day Summit.
2. As an aftermath of the #ENDSARS protest, the Federal Government did set up a youth committee to address the issues behind the #ENDSARS protest that took place late last year 2020.
3. On the basis of the committee’s recommendation, the Federal Government through the National Economic Council (NEC) resolved to among other things, engage the youth representatives of civil society organizations, religious and traditional leaders and to focus on issues like employment, social safety net programmes, wealth creation, digital economy, education, sport development, creative and hospitality industry, security, governance issues and National unity.
4. This youth dialogue is scheduled to hold in each of the states of the federation after which each state, shall send a delegation of selected youths to represent their states at the Geo-political zones. The representatives of each Geo-political zone shall proceed to the National level for National Youth Summit that will be convened by the Federal Government.
5. This Youth Summit in Ebonyi State named “Ebonyi #ENDSARS Youth Summit” is with a theme: “Youth Engagement in National Development” and it covers thematic areas of Wealth Creation, Social Safety Net, Employment Creation, Creative and Hospitality Industry, Education, Security, Good Governance and National Unity as have been mentioned.
6. It is hoped that this Youth Summit shall afford opportunities for the representatives of our young intellectuals, students of different institutions at home and in diaspora, youths leaders of different civil societies, political organizations and young people living with disabilities to brainstorm and make inputs on how best to move our state and nation forward.
7. The State Planning Committee has drawn topics from the thematic areas, thus we have the following topics:
a. Harnessing Youth Potentials in Governance by Rev. Dr. David Chuks Ogbueli
b. Economic Diversification, the Way Forward. (Wealth Creation and Job Creation) by Dr. Joe Abah
c. Role of Ebonyi Youths in Economic Sustainability & Stability of Ebonyi state by Dr. Mark Abani
d. Youth participation in governance at all levels by Prof Eugene Nweke
e. Statutory Framework/Legislative Amendments for Active Youth Inclusiveness in Governance Prof. Omaka SAN
f. Youth Education, Challenges and Solutions by Prof. Jessy Uneke
g. Repositioning Nigeria’s Age Long Educational Curriculum and Self Employment by Prof. Afam Icha Ituma
h. Taking Advantage of the Untapped Potentials in the Entertainment Industry by Mr. Zack Orji.
i. Harnessing the Youth Potentials in the Creative & Hospitality Industry by Mr. Muhammed Abass.
j. Sports Development Among the Youth by Mr. Abdul Mumini Yusuf.
k. Security Challenges and Reforms- Prevalent Issues and Solutions by General Obi Umahi (Rtd).
l. The Role of Ebonyi Youth in Security Improvements in the State by General Obi Umahi (Rtd) and
m. Promotion of National Religious Cohesion by Archbishop Ede.
n. Two of Nigeria’s football stars, Mr Kanu Nwankwo and Mr Peter Rufai will be on ground on the closing ceremony to engage our dear youths on practical experience on vistas of opportunities in entertainment industry.
8. The youths shall be engaged in the first three days by Resource Persons and Panel of Discussants with opportunities for questions and answers to make the event very participatory. The remaining days shall be exclusively for feedback from the youths which shall be harnessed through syndicate discussions by delegations from the 13 Local Government Areas and the state based non-governmental organizations, and also paper presentation by group leaders. There will be a selection of the people that will represent Ebonyi Youths in the Zonal summit. Youths are expected to bare their minds on any issue of youth’s interest especially matters that will engender youth mainstreaming in national governance.
9. All submissions, contributions and indeed the submit communique shall be aggregated and presented during the closing ceremony which shall hold on Wednesday 10th, 2021 at this State Christian Ecumenical Centre. Presentation of those to be selected by the youths to represent them at the South East zonal summit shall also be done during the closing ceremony.
10. At this juncture, let me reiterate the determination of this administration towards the enhancement of the capacity of our youths, harvest of the talents of our gifted youths and their empowerment to ensure that they take their proper place as the young leaders with beautiful ideas to make a great difference in the socio-economic development of our dear state and Nigeria.
11. We have made a modest effort in changing the narratives of our dear state through the provision of solid infrastructure, creation of beautiful environment and introduction of life changing empowerment programmes. We have opened up our rural communities and established socio-economic facilities that will boost the economic base of the state, create jobs for our people and enhance self reliance and self sufficiency among our people. We have built institutions that will enhance the capacity of our youths, entrepreneurs, artisans, craftsmen and technicians. This we have done though the establishment of Vocational College and King David Gifted Academy and the revampment of our primary and secondary schools.
12. As part of our efforts to give meaning to the lives of all inhabitants of Ebonyi state:
a. We have introduced #ENDSARS Empowerment Programme and have approved the sum of Three Billion Naira (N3,000,000,000.00) to inject in the empowerment of not less than 3000 Ebonyians, including youths and women.
b. Federal Mortgage Bank Housing Scheme for Civil Servants has taken -off in two locations in Ebonyi State.
c. Social Housing Scheme for the displaced people at the airport has been approved by Family Homes Fund under the office of the Vice President
a. We are opening three ICT Learning Centres for the youths, one in each of the three senatorial zones.
b. We have concluded arrangements for the take-off of School Inter House Sports in the State.
c. King David’s Unity Cup shall take-off before June,2021. Screening of participants shall commence immediately.
d. Queen Rachel’s Tournament for female athletes shall take-off simultaneously with king David’s cup
e. King David’s Quiz Competition in Mathematics, Science, English, Current Affairs and History shall take-off in the primary, secondary and university in our State
f. We have secured Federal Government’s approval to set up a limestone granules plant and this will create jobs for our teaming youths.
g. Our Ring Road Project will soon commence and this will also create jobs for the youths.
13. We are strategic in our programme implementation and project execution such that we place premium on Infrastructure and Human Capital Development as an indispensible twin pillars of development that must be achieved for us to have a prosperous state.
14. This is why we have prioritized in our 2021 budget, education, health, human capital development, agriculture, among other critical sectors that will attract the primary attention of our administration. This youth engagement processes shall also be taken seriously by our administration and we are ready to project the course of the youth to ensure that their voice is heard.
15. I will at this moment thank all the Special Guests and Resource Persons that have honoured us with their esteemed presence. I have no doubt that with your experience and track-records in your fields of life, our youths will make the best use of this summit to change the narratives of our country and add force to the quest for a united, indivisible and egalitarian nation where peace, love and justice shall reign supreme.
16. I congratulate our dear vibrant youths for making themselves available in this all important summit and hope that it will be fruitful and satisfy the dreams and aspirations of the forbearers of this nation.
17. It is therefore my honour and pleasure to declare this ceremony open. Thank you and God bless you
Engr. Chief David Nweze Umahi FNSE, FNATE
Governor of Ebonyi State